Thursday, October 14, 2010

birthday debauchery

Hi there,
It definitely has been a while and a lot has happened in terms of my culinary exploits. To leave off where we left off, Marly called into Perennial and told them we were coming to review it, so basically we got a ton of free shit. We started with the butternut squash soup with creme fraiche perennial trail mix on top and an arugula and grapefruit salad. Those apps were good. then they brought us out foie gras encrusted jumbo scallops very nice. For our dinner we split the house made tofu with sides of butternut squash noodle kugel and mac and cheese. Both of those were very good. And then for dessert he brought us out these little apple and ice cream lollipops with caramel. Overall, I'd say the seasonal menu of Perennial is nice and intriguing. I would definitely go back, but not before I try a bunch of other places. So that was Wednesday.
Thursday, I started my job at Signature Room! I like it so far. Aside from the unfortunate fact that I have to wear a ridiculous suit, albeit slimming, the job is challenging and it's a very busy restaurant, like 500 people for lunch busy. I totally lied on all my apps and said that I knew how to work open table--well that is plainly not true. I never have done computerized hostessing and it was a lot to learn in such a short time. But after I got the hang of it, it's been pretty much smooth sailing. After work on Thursday we went out for Marissa's birthday to Luxbar. The food was standard, but the company was great and I'm really happy that I got to meet a few fellow gold coast girls that are now my going out partners in crime.
Friday I worked again and then Abby and I went to RJ Grunts for dinner!!! Salad bar was so good, we also got a side of fries which were delicious. I honestly don't think that I had had french fries the entire time I have been in Chi so it was a great accompaniment to my overloaded plates of lettuce, pineapple, and tuna noodle. Then we went to say hello to Alinea (passing by in the cab) and to our friend's friends' house on Halsted. We went to Old Town social and then McFadden's which was soooo fun and then we went home for some pizza rolls and I'm sorry to say that's no euphemism. Saturday I woke up hungover and went to work. Got out of work and went out with Marissa and my new friends to Hub 51 and I was WASTED. Way too much hub punch which is so delicious and I was dying. I left early by myself standard in a taxi at 2am.
After being so retarded, I obviously needed to get some brunch on Sunday morning. Abby and her friends from school were out the door at like 430 am to volunteer at the marathon so I met them afterwards for brunch at Nookies on wells. It was really solid I got a vegetarian omellette, which had broccoli, mushroom, spinach, cauliflower, zuchini, and tomatoes. Then we went home to relax and made chili with no "carne in m'pocket are you mad?" and cornbread. It was fine but we made way too much and its grossing me out now. Monday I also had off from work and I met Marly for lunch at Specialty's. I got a sub-standard greek salad but it came with amazing focaccia bread that was really salty and i want some right about now. Then, I went to an interview at RL restaurant just to keep my options open and it went so well. I have a second interview in about an hour I'm bugging out about it. Ok, so then Tuesday I worked nothing special and then yesterday was my birthday!!!! We went to Mercadito which was really good and so buzzy I loved it. We waited a while for our table and Marly and Jamie got a spicy margarita which was cool. For dinner, we ordered the trio of guacs--mango chipotle, traditional, and pineapple. Duo of salsas- verde and this roasted tomato spicy one. Fried plantains, mahi mahi ceviche, this salad with chipotle balsamic dressing that was sooo spicy and amazing. Then we got tilapia tacos which were so good sliced avocado on top spicy sauce inside and the fish was cooked perfectly--grilled with a crunchy crust on outside but not dry at all. Jamie and Abby got shrimp tacos which looked awesome, too. They brought me out caramel flan for my bday but we all know that I don't swing that way. We got in the taxi to go home and the driver told us that he knows Hema, which may have been the highlight of the year. Now I'm off to Ralph Lauren and then to MADISON!!!!
hopefully I make it out of wisconsin alive
----hhh----

No comments:

Post a Comment