Monday, September 20, 2010

It was the best of times...it was the worst of times

So, it's about time this actually started. I'm almost all settled (minus furniture) into my new apartment in Chi-town (can I say that if I'm not Kanye?) and I'm half asleep on my "couch" (standard) trying to figure out how to use Twitter. You're probably saying to yourself: enough with the parentheticals! I definitely agree with you there. So anyway, from now on this HungryHungryHipster, officially recovered from being very hungry hungry hipster on Yom Kippur, will write all about her Chicago food discoveries and corresponding feelings.
I never thought I would have so much time on my hands, seeing that I was supposed to start grad school today, but that didn't exactly go according to plan; hence the title of this self loathing blog post. But, when life gives you lemons...look at that food metaphor!...we're going to turn it into an online forum dedicated to my gluttonous ways. To offset the hours upon hours that I will have to wander the Chicago streets looking for good tuna all by myself, I will be engaged in what I want to call an immersive yoga program, ie the only thing I have to do, which will most likely turn into an immersive Forever 21/Arrested Development reruns/yoga when hulu cuts me off plan. Hipster, right?
To include some quick notes about food, the most important part of this website and of my life, let's go through what I've eaten in Chi...want to call it Chitown again but I won't...cago. Last night when I got the news that school wasn't happening, I did the most obvious thing I could and baked a 13x9 inch pan of funfetti with frosting. soliddd. I've also humiliated myself at RA Sushi on state st. by ordering take out and going to pick it up post immersive yoga, unaware that you pick food up from the bar so instead of a chic martini glass I was holding a yoga mat looking like a homeless person. It was delicious though. My first night in town we went to Quartino which was Italian tapas and pretty decent until the zeppoles came out which made it a whole lot better. Our waiter was wearing some sexy standard A pocket sevens, but even his nice taste in denim couldn't distract me from the tiny tiny (I like repetitive adjectives) penne vodka. At Bensi of Old Bridge, my former place of employment complete with the most mediocre food, that paltry plate of pasta is smaller than a side dish. If you're going to eat penne vodka, then you want it to be hearty. hmm...I went to whole foods today on Huron, which I have to say was not very hipster at all. I think I'll try the one in Boystown on Halsted next time.
Tomorrow night, I'm going for dinner and drinks with the gingerfoodie herself. Will I finally get to meet Rick Bayless at Frontera? Or will I be kicked to the curb at the end of a three hour wait list like last time? Stay tuned........

No comments:

Post a Comment